Thursday, December 5, 2013

44 Scotland Street.

P1013994 P1013998 P1014001 P1014003 P1014005 P1013993

I imagine this post will be a bit cryptic for anyone who isn't acquainted with Alexander McCall Smith's Scotland Street book series. But for those who are, particularly several members of my family, I think you'll realize just how high-pitched my constant internal scream grew as I found myself walking around the streets that my favorite characters live on. And I stumbled across tidbits of their neighborhoods that made their lives seem even more real, such as the Cumberland Bar, which I didn't realize would be an actual place, or the Valvona & Crolla bumper sticker. Every time I saw a man with a dog, I wondered if I'd be able to see a gold tooth peeking out from behind the slobber. For those who have yet to dive into his books, here's somewhere to start. The delightful Scottish gentleman who captured my heart years ago is better at Facebook than most of the people I know, and he posts tidbits of his upcoming books, as well as just some grains of wisdom and observations from his own life. His books have a charm to them that's just slightly different than anything else I've ever read. They make me feel smarter and more cultured every time I pick one up, and if that's not enough of a reason, I don't know what is. Except that they're funny. The whole package.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you can go to Big Lou's coffee shop and meet Cyril. If the gold tooth shines--you have a situation in which you will have to take a picture--and share it with the rest of us. Did Cyril ever get his teeth into Mathew's ankles? You must find Mathew's art gallery also!

    ReplyDelete

Happy to hear from you! Let's play word ping pong.