Tuesday, November 26, 2013

St. Paul's.

PA122585 PA162785 PA162786 PA162812 PA162804 PA162798 PA162813 PA162808

I took these pictures of and around St. Paul's Cathedral a similarly long time ago in mid-October. I'll admit, my first view of it was from across the river when I was waiting in the groundling line outside the Globe, and I asked Christine what building it was. Surely it was important?
Slightly embarrassing. I'd just been nodding enthusiastically at the mention of St. Paul's Churchyard as a place for the sale of Elizabethan play books in class the day before. 'St. Paul's, oh yes, I'm familiar with it.' Yeah, clearly not. But I am now!
I chose not to pay to go inside, but I walked up the steps and marveled at the size of the columns, and the tameness of the pigeons. There were a number of school groups milling about, speaking different languages, which made sense, as I was about to go join my school group at the Globe for my second visit in a week! This time, instead of seeing a play, one of the seminar leaders for my Early Modern Drama class led us around taught us about the structure and business of the theatre. While she was talking, I watched some men mopping the stage (one of them being the man who assured me I was not unusual in my faintness when I nearly passed out during the show the Saturday before) and I was struck by how cool it is that mundane tasks like that remain the same over centuries. Those men were doing the same work that theatre-workers when doing when Shakespeare trod the boards of his Globe 500 years ago. We also got to participate in a workshop with one of the Globe's actors, Philip Cumbus, who coincidentally was my favorite actor from The Lightning Child. Needless to say, I nearly fainted again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy to hear from you! Let's play word ping pong.